Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday Night Chatter

I was expecting to be running until eight o'clock tonight, but got the evening off, which I appreciate. This week is so busy that my biggest issue is trying to figure out when the heck I can get to the market and replenish my fruit supply, which is seriously low and therefore means I have nothing to eat for breakfast. My latest plot is an early morning run tomorrow, though I may have a half hour -- in which it will hopefully NOT be monsooning -- when I can go.

Tonight I'm distracted, for some reason everything is occupying my attention and I somehow just found myself spending twenty minutes on the "Glee Wikipedia" catching up on Season three, which I didn't watch because I thought it was too ridiculous. I was definitely right about that much, and I can't believe I just admitted on the internet that I did that, but hey. It could be worse.

I always knew that paying September's rent was going to be the most difficult, two months of getting my feet under me and digging into my still-quite-limited savings, but I am happy to announce (something else that I'm not quite sure why I'm putting on the internet) that Mission: Not Getting Kicked Out After Two Months will be a success, and I will still have (some) savings left. Hooray for not going broke in foreign countries without return plane tickets, eh?

The six week slump -- which I think lasted from a month to six weeks -- has dissipated, or maybe it was washed away by the monsoons. I'm interested again, and totally hooked by this project to get my students on stage, performing their own work, somewhere where a lot of people will come watch them. I'm going to get a Khmer tutor ASAP and will start on a mission to learn enough of the language to run a rehearsal, besides how to talk to the fruitseller at the market.

See, I know I could get away with not doing it, which is probably precisely why I've decided now is the best time to get into it. I could just get translators, or talk to the students with the better English -- but that's not okay. So, I need a tutor who can teach me all the dance words I want to know.

I had to pause there in order to do dishes, as I don't have time to do them tomorrow and someone's coming for dinner, which means the apartment has to be at least reasonably presentable.

Maybe you're wondering what in the world I'm doing to be so busy, but it's just that this week is the only week I work in the mornings and teach workshops in the afternoon, and have a couple make up lessons for the private tutoring. It's just a bit busy, but next week should be normal.

I can't really talk about my students enough. This week has been really interesting: they are beginning choreographers, and because there are so damn many of them, I can only give them forty five minutes to set their pieces, so they are definitely sketches. A little clumsy, a little more classical than their other work that they had three plus days to work on, but still very well thought out, and I think the fact that they've been working so much on them means they're taking it seriously. They could certainly use some workshop time, and as with anything, you have to practice to be good and they're learning on the fly.

Today was a quiet class, though most everyone had filtered in by the end, and everyone was a little goofy, laughing a lot. For not really speaking each other's language, we understand the jokes very well. I'm really going to miss them -- and here I was at the beginning, kvetching about having to teach every day and what not. No, to be honest I'm crazily proud of them. I've already started plotting to get a few of them to come dance for me in Paris.

It's really because of them that I'm excited about being here again, that and things, inexplicably and from the strangest places, are falling at my feet. Teaching the Thriller dance, which had been given to someone else before they cancelled, now a translating project where someone I've met once recommended me and involves interviews with past Royal Ballet members...yes, and I'm taking dance classes again. I tell you, not dancing just makes me hate the world, hence why it is better for everyone that I spend my entire life doing it. Flawless logic right there.

Still, it's definitely cool that when I ask "No really, why am I here?" I have an answer. I knew all along that asking the question meant creating the answer, which is precisely what I'm doing.

I have to make a decision sooner or later about this market trip. I think I'll probably just hope it's not raining in the middle of the day and not get up at seven in the morning, which, considering my sleepiness this afternoon, could become an issue.

It is probably just wishful thinking, but I think it might be getting cooler. Except in the middle of the day, where I am invariably on my bike going somewhere and sweating. Then it is not colder at all, which leads me to believe that it is just wishful thinking, and just because people are bizarrely going back to school does not mean it's fall.

An update on the bike, in closing -- I have decided that my rear brakes need tightening, but then in pursuing this line of thought discovered that the brakes are somehow attached to the wheel and not those little pincer things you usually see. It's on the other side from the chain and has some strange spring. Needless to say, I am quite skeptical of the engineering and am still trying to figure out where I might go in order to get this fixed, and if in doing so I run the real risk of exploding the brakes entirely.

Which would, I think you'd agree, be a serious problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment