Thursday, August 30, 2012

Happy Birthday MJ

PDC has to take a moment to acknowledge its inspirations...well, mine at least.

If Michael Jackson was still alive, he would be 54 today.

Last year, for my thesis, I spent a long time with MJ, watching music videos on repeat, comparing with his back up dancers; I read a 650 page biography and his autobiography, watched This Is It and other random videos, and read several dozen articles. Of course I knew about him, but I had never really watched him dance before then.

And then I spent a whole semester doing so.

Because I'm posting this, I'm sure you know how I feel, but let me just say: he was (and is) the most incredible dancer I have ever seen, with the ability to move without moving and walk without weight. There is no comparison, and especially not in the influence he had. Everyone knows who he is, and how he moved. You start a move and everyone says, oh yeah, Michael Jackson.

So happy birthday, Mr. Jackson. You inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment