Monday, August 20, 2012

Photo/video blog: to the market

Taking full advantage of my last day endowed with a camera (thank YOU, Marta!!), I decided to take you along as I went to the market to buy my usual fruits and veggies. I took some videos as well, which will hopefully work. 

The first thing I wanted to say was this: having a camera gives such a different energy. When it is just me, striding along as though I know where I'm going (and by now, I do), I think people accept that I must live here. But with a camera slung around my neck -- and maybe it was because I was looking, or not from anyone else at all but my own impression of myself -- the energy changed. Suddenly I was A Tourist, and eyed as such. 

I didn't like it, and it is one of the big reasons why I am against cameras in general and why I don't currently own one (though it's still on my wishlist, a growing affair for whenever I have disposable income again, which could be awhile). So I took the camera from my neck and wrapped the strap around my wrist instead. It was still obvious, but less aggressive, I thought, and I could take more surreptitious pictures. It also means they are much more wonky, and the videos shaky, but hey. It's real time. 


Heading out the gate, I saw this fantastic tuk tuk and had to take a picture. 


This video was taken on my walk, to give you an idea of the sights, sounds, and etc.


Here I am heading into the market.


I got the veggies first, as usual. 

Photo from the wrist














Heading back towards my favorite fruitseller.



Photo along the way...














Some ramboutan at the fruit stand...

And some dragonfruit (and a friend).


Bananas hanging from the ceiling! 














The fruit haul. (For five dollars and seventy five cents.)


And the veggie haul. For seventy five cents.


Considering the amount of time it has taken me to format, upload, and generally make pretty this post, you can safely assume I will be happy to return to words, but I'm happy to be able to share this with you at least. Tomorrow another Tuesday Night Chatter is on the way -- it's not too late to send questions! Unless you really do just want to hear what I have to say, in which case...that works just as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment