Thursday, October 25, 2012

The stage, the dust, and the prettiest afternoon sunshine you'll ever see

It's pretty clear that the Khmer Arts company is out of town, as the normally immaculate stage was covered with a fine layer of dust, and I left footprints where I walked, the fine dust making my feet slip more than usual.

I think it was the nicest day of my entire stay here, the sky a brilliant clear blue and not a cloud to be found. The afternoon sun was hot, but not overbearing, and it had faded to a deep gold when I arrived at the Khmer Arts theater on the back of a moto, stepping into the empty theater.

Normally there are people there, rehearsing, the orchestra and the dancers together or otherwise, but today it was silent and still except for the ants and the birds and the monks on the loudspeaker from a nearby pagoda. The stage, which usually has a block or two on it, was clear, and the sun was making the temple-like building at the back stand out, playing on the green plants.

I think I could have stayed forever. I only stayed an hour, working on the Linda piece and practicing what I know of Cambodian classical dance (not much), but it was the most peaceful, quiet time. My driver chilling out in the back of the theater as he does while he's waiting, the relative quiet, and the golden sunshine.

In the middle of a week in which everything is changing and my mind is constantly racing, the time to just be with the stage and the dust was very welcome. There are some very exciting things happening and I can't confirm any of it yet because it's not set, but it's surprising and fascinating and let's just say that life does what it does and I'm just trying to keep up.

If the current things pan out, well, I think you'll be hearing about it.

In the meantime, I took one hour out of the madness to a place where the dust settles, instead of flying through the air, and the world without it was clear, golden, and quiet.

In case you haven't seen it, this is what the theater looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment