Friday, October 12, 2012

Taking a rest, what's on TV, and TGIF

Let me be the first to say : It hasn't been an easy week.

I can't say it's been a bad week because, well, those don't exist and there was a lot of progress and good things. But it hasn't been easy, as the overload of things to think about and create and push caught up with me and I caught a nasty cold/cough on Wednesday. That makes everything more difficult, plus the normal hiccups in producing projects.

Yesterday my partner cancelled our meeting for the fusion project as she too was getting sick, and I had the entire afternoon to myself. Despite being exhausted -- from the cold, and from an early morning wake up to attend a press conference for Cambodian Living Arts' new cultural season at the National Museum (Plae Pakaa, check it out) in a swiftly-becoming devilishly hot morning -- I found myself utterly incapable of resting.

Instead, I worked all day. Literally. There was plenty to do, e-mails to send (I still haven't caught up, I found some embarrassingly unanswered e-mails when cleaning out my inbox today), things to edit, Khmer to practice, etc. I only took a break to stare out the window for 20 minutes, and when I ran out of things to do around 9pm, I went to bed.

Some eleven hours later, I wasn't much more rested than the night previously and was feeling even more blah, stomach a bit upset, the whole nine yards. Despite this, I went to work and endured some endless meetings, and then at last decided to pull part-time privilege and go home.

At that point starting to get hungry, I stopped by the grocery store - a bit concerned about the likelihood of anything being open during the holidays this week -- and went home. Except this time, I didn't go to work. I made some tea (I'm out of tea now. The world is ending), had some chocolate, played some stupid games, and when I couldn't stay awake, I took a nap.

I was supposed to visit an apartment tonight, but instead I called the woman and rescheduled. For the hell of it, I turned on the TV, and stumbled on a channel playing Ratatouille, by good chance near the beginning. So I sat back to watch, had a bit of dinner, and when it was done, found a channel replaying the Titans and Steelers game from the other night.

In short, what I mean to say is that at last, I managed to spend a few hours without thinking, planning, or working, a brilliant gift at the end of a long week.

Sometimes that's just what you need. Tell my secretary to cancel all my appointments, I'm taking the night off. I don't want to deal with everything I'm trying to do and make and create and however exciting it all is, sometimes you need to drink a coke, watch a silly movie, or some football.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day -- because everything is just so new here, living is so exhausting because even if you do the same things every day, you're still learning, all the time, every second of every day. I think the best thing about watching a movie like Ratatouille is that it tells you what to think so you don't have to work too hard, just exist in another world as observer for awhile.

It will be a four-day weekend. As best as I can -- and I do try, I really do -- I will take the time to rest and get better. But for tonight -- as exciting, interesting, and wonderful as this adventure has been so far -- I am just so content to sit back and watch some football, because there, at least, I understand exactly what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment