Saturday, October 6, 2012

A quick thought

It snowed in Colorado today. Last night, for them. The highs are in the 50s, tomorrow under 40.

This is not particularly abnormal for Denver -- my mom says first freeze is average around October 8th.

But it is completely unfathomable for me.

It will be in the 70s again in a week, I'm sure, I said in a skype chat.

Of course, mom replied, don't you remember Colorado?

I thought for a second -- and realized, no, I don't. I have no idea. I've been back here and there for visits, during the summer, during the winter. The last time I lived there was over four years ago, and of course I've been in close contact, but right now especially --

No, I don't remember. That world is not even another planet, it's another universe, and maybe not even parallel. Here, it is the rainy season. October means rain, and that is all. Autumn is not a word that means anything here. I remember in theory, when I think about it, the Colorado winters, that I needed to wear a jacket --

But I don't remember what the cold feels like.

It is the same earth, I think, but the place where it is snowing, called Colorado, is as far away from me as the nearest star. It was a strange realization -- not really attached with an emotion, just like turning around and looking at something and saying, Huh. Now, isn't that interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment