Thursday, July 19, 2012

There's a lizard in my sink

Granted, it was pretty small, only about three inches total from nose to tip of tail. One of the little, almost translucent lizards that flit up and down the walls, especially at night. They're everywhere, though I'm not sure how this one found his way into my apartment. I suppose he fell, and then couldn't climb the slippery stainless steel walls of my sink.

I found him when I got home from a meeting, needing to make dinner. However much I think the things are cute, having a living one in your kitchen is a different story. I waffled a bit, and then called my friend Nettra. She didn't pick up -- I figured she was having dinner, so texted her.

Upon hearing about the problem, she immediately called to ask how big it was, then suggested I lure it onto a piece of paper and put it outside. She must have heard me hesitating, because she decided to send over their maid to help me out.

Their maid is a tiny little Cambodian woman who doesn't, as far as I can tell, speak a word of English, but she's very friendly, and came over to investigate, chatting away happily in Khmer. She found one of my discarded cardboard boxes, left over from the water filter, and then proceeded to chase the thing around my sink, trying to convince it to go in the box. He refused, so at last -- much to my discomfort -- she took a paper towel and snatched it by the waist, then threw it into the box.

I was somewhat concerned for the thing's well-being after all that, but she showed me it sitting in the bottom of the box, still alive and no doubt scared to death. With another cheery remark that I didn't understand, she headed out with box and lizard in hand, leaving me to my various stumbling attempts at cooking (let's be frank: I am no cook. I can feed myself, and that is where we draw the line.)

Things have been very, very busy here, but I don't really want to bore you with the details of it. A lot of running around, a lot of selling myself, and a few leads on getting paid for tutoring. Encouraging, and exciting, but quite hectic.

You know. The usual....

No comments:

Post a Comment