Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 16th, 2010

We have a couch. I am done spending money. And the internet is still as responsible as a sixteen year old goth wannabe.

However, in the midst of all this seeming insanity, life goes on. Hilary and I agree that we feel like we’ve been here for years already, (Hey look the internet just started working!!!), and I cannot fathom that it – (checking) – HASN’T EVEN BEEN FOUR WEEKS YET?!?!?!??!! !

Jesus.

Okay I’m better now. Wow.

Anyway so here we are. I’ve worked several days at the hotel now and discovered that you actually make some tips as a busser, though will be getting on the management to let me wait tables because the tips are WAY better there, so we will see. I told them I am really poor and I’m going to Europe in the fall and if they could help me out, that would be fantastic. We shall see if they do.

SPEAKING of which, my financial aid advisor has said, in my understanding, that she will provide a letter of ‘financial guarantee’ for the consulate, which means Columbia financial aid says they’ll be able to give me $600 a month. Now. I do not actually believe that is true because I don’t believe anything good about Columbia financial aid, but it does mean my visa requirements are coming together. Yay. I am still waiting on a package of letters to come from Columbia and getting concerned as to their whereabouts, since I really need them soon.

Anyway, moving on because thinking about that makes me tired and I’m already half asleep. Yeah, so about that, I spent my day off helping our friend Richard haul heavy things out of his storage and around the house, and then walking all over downtown putting up posters for a show I’m actually not even working on.

Okay, well now I am. I did these two things because A) Richard has been so kind to us already and I wanted to help out, and B) because the show is a dance company and I want to meet all the dancers/take classes with the company/learn how it all works. So yes of course it’s all ulterior motives. I went in today to talk to the guy who got in touch with me about helping the dance company out, and he’s like, yeah, you can put up posters! And I smiled and said, Okay! while thinking fuckkkkkkk.

But I did it. Until I got rained out. And then I bought a mix of amaretto and dark chocolate ice cream with a crunch bar in it from the marble slab creamery (kind of like Coldstone) with a dipped waffle cone. Heaven on earth. Also Richard bought me Greek food for lunch. I love Greek food. And then I got back to the apartment and stumbled into the bedroom and disappeared off the face of the planet for at least an hour and ever since then I have been going around in a haze of grogginess.

We also got a microwave, actually the source of endless amusement for Hilary and I last night. We bought it from Habitat for Humanity. It was $20, and the sticker on the top said that it heats a cup of water but the other functions could not be tested. We hauled it up to the front desk, where I promptly asked the woman, “Does this thing work?” She had no idea, so we bought it anyway and took it home. Put in a cup of water, set it for like thirty seconds, and with great trepidation pressed start.

First of all, the light doesn’t turn on, and second of all, it’s very quiet. It heat the cup of water --- success!! – but Hilary and I are convinced it is somehow terribly nefarious because you can’t see what it’s doing in there. Probably shooting toxins into the food or something. It ain’t natural, if ya know what I mean. Should heat the food out in the open.

Also on the way back, in the truck with Richard with the couch/chair in the back, we discovered that there are several streets that have a “Short” version. We drove on “Short MacDowell” to get to the normal MacDowell, and then found ourselves on “Short Coxe.” Since we had been remarking on the phenomenon, Hilary goes, “Short Coxe, long Coxe.” We have been giggling about this ever since, yes I know very mature. If you don’t get it, just say it aloud to yourself.

But really, it’s hard to believe it’s only the middle of June, but the middle of June is still kind of a scarily far along place in the summer especially for people—can’t think who—on a deadline to get visas. It will all work out I’m sure but I will be SO MUCH HAPPIER when I have in my hand the letters from Columbia. Hopefully soon. But really, how long can it take to send letters from New York to Asheville?!

I just saw a bus go by, which is confusing, because I thought they stopped running at like six thirty. Hmm.

Okay I think that’s all I have to whine about for now. Hilary is out late every
night this week with the Tourists, leaving me by my lonesome here. I had my friend (boy?) Raj over for dinner last night, and I think we’re going to some show tomorrow night, and then I will probably go to the game on Friday night because it’s fireworks, so that would be cool. I’m keeping busy, but still trying to just be alive and have that be enough.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment