Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 2nd, 2010

It is August already, and I have barely three weeks left in Asheville. I'm not quite finished here -- there are still people that need to be seen, jobs that must be finished, and conversations that must be had -- but it is definitely on the back side of things and time is flying by as though all of the clocks are on speed -- or maybe it's the earth itself, turning restlessly faster and faster.

July, it seems, was in a hurry to leave.

It's been a week since I last wrote, but if you came up to me right now and demanded what had happened in the time between then and now -- I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to tell you. Even right now, I have to really think about it. I'll have to blame the aliens -- or maybe, more pragmatically, I was working almost all week. My one day off was Thursday. I spent Wednesday night hanging out with Raj, and in the process managed to give him a rocking haircut, and he made me a rocking dinner. So it was a good trade.

I would like to note that I have never actually cut someone's hair before, even though I spend a lot of time getting my own hair cut - the wonders of short hair. And yes, it was kind of cheating because he had that fancy schmancy buzzer thing that regulates the length, I could have still screwed it up. But I didn't. So there.

We also went for dinner and a show on Saturday, taking advantage of the fact that my job at the box office allows me to sneak into shows in the theatre, generally speaking. By sneaking in, by the way, I mean I get in for free with the blessing of everyone involved. On Saturday, it was the Freddie Cole Quartet playing -- for those of you who don't know, that would be Nat King Cole's little brother, who has to be almost 80 years old and is still touring and making music. It was more lounge jazz than swing jazz, so it wasn't my favorite style, but it was still really cool. He played a few of my favorite songs, like "I'll Be Seeing You", "Paper Moon", and "Nature Boy."

I went to the baseball game after work yesterday. It was one of those hot, sticky days, the world uneasily accepting the sun after a morning of fog and rain. It was beautiful, really, until it tried to clear off. I was convinced that it was going to rain during the game, but it didn't. I had a great time, however -- Hilary had been chatting with one of the player's dad because he had been in the gift shop, and they'd really hit it off, so I ended up chatting with him as well. Since I was there by myself, I ended up sitting with his family and chattering away to the mom. It was a lot of fun, and the Tourists won, so it was an all around good time.

Hilary and I were planning to go to Shakespeare in the Park, because they just opened a new show, Troilus and Cressida, but we decided not to. After working all week and several fifteen hour days in a row for Hilary, we were just too tired. So we sat and did nothing at all.

(Yeah so blogger just erased what was left of this post. I am not amused. It has been one of those happy naproxen fueled days, just made better by the fact that my favorite jeans ripped all the way down the leg (am I getting fat?!?!). I was not amused then, either).

I think the only other thing I was talking about was the fact that I picked my visa up from the post office today, so I am now legally allowed to reside in France for a year. Score. The last thing I have to do is go bankrupt paying for my housing deposit. (Yay?)

The sound you hear is my energy crashing, by the way. I work a lot this week, and my presence is required at some mandatory meeting tomorrow for all hotel employees, which has as much chance of enriching my life as watching paint dry and will be relevant for about as long as the life span of a flea, but they are paying me to sit there and be bored, so what can I say.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment