Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 11th, 2010

It is two weeks to the day until I leave. It's not as far as I thought it should be, and I have the feeling that it's going to feel a whole lot shorter than that. I think I can say honestly that I don't want to go and I desperately want to go, exactly at the same time. (If you think it's impossible to do that, I point you in the direction of everyone; human beings are remarkable in their ability to want opposite things equally).

Went dancing again on Saturday night -- I was exploding at the seams with energy after a short little power nap, and finally got in touch with the boy. We ended up at BoBo's gallery for a bit, then the Haywood Lounge, notable for the fact that it was mostly empty, 2 in the morning, and we were the only white people there, right smack in the middle of the dance floor. I have the feeling the people watching were probably laughing at me, but I also think I managed to hold my own pretty well. In any case, by the time we actually went to sleep, it was about four. My alarm went off at six, and I dragged my carcass up the Clingman hill and into work, where I drank coffee like water and somehow managed to survive perfectly. I even managed to meet Hilary at Malaprop's and have an intelligible conversation before returning home and sleeping for three hours.

We ended up going to Shakespeare in the Park on Sunday night; they just opened "Troilus and Cressida", which is actually about the Trojan war and is a little performed play. I really like the story of the Iliad anyway (probably more than the Odyssey, which I realize makes me highly bizarre), and it was very clever and funny, so I quite enjoyed it. Troilus and Cressida is actually somewhat of a subplot, of a love affair between Priam's youngest son and a somewhat capricious Trojan woman who ends up in the Greek camp (where she falls in love and causes poor Troilus no end of heartbreak). There were some takes on things that I wasn't too wild about, but I thought the cast did a good job and took an interesting interpretation, so that was cool. Hilary and I also found our latest motto, which we quote to each other at every possible moment, whether or not appropriate -- it is from Achilles, who is trying to explain something, then stops, shrugs, and goes, "I know not, 'tis trash. Farewell!" And walks off the stage. Hilarious. Raj and a friend joined us for the first act - they had promised food, but were delayed by some accident involving a car and a neighbor's fence, and so Hilary and I ate a bag of chips and a candy bar apiece from the concession's stand for dinner. Mmm, healthy.

This week I'm assistant stage managing again for Terpsicorps, this time a show called "The Dream Project", which is essentially dance interpretations of people's dreams. The prop list is insane, and has been described as a "clusterfuck", and with opening night tomorrow, we have still not run through the entire show with lights and sets. I probably shouldn't tell you that. Oh well. In any case, I wasn't sure if I was going to be helping out, since I hadn't heard anything, but it turns out that just no one had time to get back to me, so when I e-mailed the stage manager, he basically said that whenever I'm not working would be a good time to help out. I have rehearsals all day today and tomorrow, and shows tomorrow night, Friday, and Saturday. Oh yeah, and I don't have an off day from work. So this week, including two jobs and the Terpsicorps project, I will be working roughly 70 hours. Fun times. Ah well, no one can say I didn't sign up for it. I just want to be able to sleep in for a change.

Since I'm not leaving quite yet, I won't say all of my impressions of Asheville -- I think some of those are best left to when I'm no longer actually there. But it does seem incomprehensible to me that my summer is almost at an end, and even less so that I will be in Paris in about three short weeks. (Good lord.)

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment