Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sunday Night Ramblings

Seeing as Tuesday Night Chatter has vanished into the netherland of things Gillian occasionally thinks about doing and finds it to be too ambitious, and I've been thinking about writing today but don't particularly have something to talk about (not true, I do, but that would require me to think straight enough to have a point), so Sunday Night Ramblings, here we go.

(If you understood that first sentence, we're good. If you didn't, it's not going to get better.)

I've been slowly recovering the past few days, sleeping an enormous amount and spending the rest of the time like a lump. I didn't get dressed until 4pm yesterday. Stopping, as it often does, always has a way of showing me how tired I was. One of my friends told me that the dark circles under my eyes have just been getting darker for the past three weeks, but hopefully after this weekend they will be on their way out. I have another weekend off next week, as I guess it's not okay to mourn for the King and then be like, great! Let's dance! a few days later.

Been taking the time also to catch up on the various dance cult classic movies that it's apparently a tragedy I've never seen, like Dirty Dancing and Flashdance. They both feature 80's hair, young and not-so-innocent despite their very innocent appearance 18 year olds getting hot for a man of indeterminate age and in the meantime learning to dance or going after a dream of dancing, respectively. That sounds really snarky when I think of it -- I was entertained by both, enjoyed the dancing, but confess to not being blown away by their brilliance -- or Patrick Swayze's hotness (Though, I think if I were 15 we'd be talking a different story).

There's a new building going up across the street, probably another 10 story luxury thing like the one directly across from my building. I watch the people go in and out a lot, the gate attendants parking the cars and bringing out the motos for the residents, a mix of Asian and white people. Getting in the elevator, sometimes standing on the balcony and doing what I'm doing, watching the world go by.

Anyway I've never seen a building being built before, never knew how it worked. The workers are all young and now that they are jack-hammering a lot thankfully they have discovered close-toed shoes and hard hats, at least most of the time. It's interesting to watch. I'm quite curious about the project, like watching them spill concrete in the ground and then dig them up to unearth these pillars, then jack-hammer half of them away and stick steel poles in them, build wood boxes around them, and dump more concrete in. I guess that's the foundation -- I confess to thinking, THAT's what's holding up my building? Oh dear.

I should be buying my last plane ticket this week and am getting excited about this trip, only about six weeks away (and considering the speed at which things are moving...) I'm looking forward to spending time with the family and especially seeing my sister, who is still in the hospital with no end in sight -- something that has been a constant source of stress in the back of my mind for the past six weeks.

As I said, with the way time is moving, I don't think it is at all premature to start making preparations for the trip, like trying to find someone to take my room for the month or maybe just become the next roommate as one of my roommates is leaving end of March, figuring out phone situations and where I'm going to stay in Paris, and other such logistics.

The Super Bowl is tomorrow and while it may or may not be on my television, waking up at 6:30am or whenever it starts, sounds a bit ambitious however much I enjoy football, and sleeping will probably win out.

It has this entire weekend, in fact....

No comments:

Post a Comment