Saturday, September 1, 2012

Inked

I have been wanting a second tattoo for quite awhile now, and have had it on my wish list for several months. I was thinking that since it didn't happen in New York, it wasn't going to, but then I heard there were some tattoo parlors here.

Admittedly quite wary, I headed out on reconnaissance, checking into the various places. I wanted someplace clean, clearly, and dedicated to the art of it, and stumbled upon RSD Tattoo, the biggest place around. The pictures online portrayed it as being very clean and nice, and they advertised getting their ink specially.

I decided to check it out and preview it, see how much it would cost. Tattoos are usually pretty expensive and I was thinking it was going to be somewhere around a hundred, which is what I paid for my last one.

It was on the side of the road, like the restaurant, open to the street, but inside very cool and modern, sleek red furniture. Occupied by the usual assortment of young guys with their own tattoos and crazy hair. I showed them my design, and got a quote -- 35 bucks.

Immediately my resolve to wait until pay day began dissolving.

I came back an hour later.

The actual room was inside, sterile, with two beds and the needles in separate, sterilized packaging. My artist was a young guy with no visible tattoos, but a bright fire engine red faux hawk, and an outfit to match his hair -- black tee and bright red pants. His name was "Chickie", and set the stencil, got everything ready, started up the music - hip hop and 80's pop -- and set to with great care.

I had decided from the beginning that I would know if the energy was good or not, and it felt good as soon as I saw the place. When I decided to go for it, I was literally giddy, and the whole time Chickie was working I lay there and thought, I love it, I love it, I love it.

A little under an hour later, this perfect, lovely, and delicate little fairy was settled on my hip. He checked it several times, added some extra shading here and there, and then sat back to see if I was okay with it.

The result is this:


I love it. So, so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment