Monday, March 26, 2012

Poetry Edition: Diamond Dirt

We were like criminals, covering diamonds with dirt. 
Hiding its brilliance, and so the guard should 
laugh to himself, thinking what fools, these two;
coveting dirt as though it were diamonds. 
And yet thinks again, were I to have a bag of gold, 
perhaps I too would cover it, to keep it safe, 
and with this thought blazing, he should spring to his feet, 
racing to where we are no longer, and, 
bitterly disappointed, should laugh to himself, 
thinking what a fancy I've had!; these were nothing but fools, 
and besides, were I to have a sack of diamonds
I'd wear them all on my fingers, and all would hail me, 
mistaking me for a King. 
Such foolish fools!, he should think, such stupid criminals, 
to cover their loot in dirt, and shuffle along 
like the depraved beggars they are, carrying sunshine
and calling it dirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment