Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ne pas paraitre americaine: an adventure

I'm sure you tire of hearing how much I'm trying to economize, if not from the blog, then from me talking about it all the time. How am I going to travel, how am I going do all that and get a metro pass, how am I going to pay for extra dance classes.

So when I say that yesterday I went shopping and spent almost exactly 50 euros, you may question my fortitude in saving money.

However: the two pieces that I bought were absolutely necessary in order to not let everyone in a 50 mile radius know that I'm American.

The first of these: A bag.




Why is this important? Because NOBODY has a backpack, at least none of the young women. They all have these large underarm bags, in which you can carry your life, but are très à la mode. I bought it from H&M for 20 euros, and it goes with everything.


The second: A little blazer/jacket, well fitted.





Why? Because everyone has one, again, une petite veste, that they wear all the time. Often a cardigan, but also blazers. I chose a navy blue military style inspired, for 30 euros. It was missing a couple buttons (that were later discovered in the pocket) that I sewed back on, and I got 10% off.


Also, I've started wearing heels, and though Parisiens quite like their ballet flats as well, there are all sorts of cool heels around. They are called "les talons" here. Voila my cute brown pair that I brought with me --



Then, you pair it all with charcoal slacks (yes, I know, I should have worn the gray heels) and a scarf, and voila: Gillian the Parisian:


1 comment: