Thursday, July 4, 2013

Finding the next Khmer Michael Jackson -- The pop music industry in Cambodia

I've been working for Cambodian Television Network (CTN) for a little over six months now, and over that time I've seen a lot of pop singers coming in and out. I've been listening to the music, watching the performances, and generally observing.

I previously spent a lot of time complaining how all the songs sound the same. That's not quite true, as I've since learned to discern the differences, but it is true that, like most pop songs, there's a formula -- 2-4 counts of 8 for an intro, a verse of 4 or 8 counts of 8, a chorus of the same, a 2 to 4 counts of 8 solo, and then another verse and two choruses to the end. There are very, very few that veer too far from this. The one time we had a song in three, my dancers freaked out.

Roughly half of the singers actually perform their songs live (it just occurred to me if I'm really supposed to be disclosing this...but, I doubt it's much of a secret). A good number seem quite unsure of the songs, and when they do sing live, aren't exactly sure when their entrance is. Once on stage, they remain stuck more or less in one place with their microphone. The girls are usually in such tight dresses or such high heels (or both) that doing anything else would be dangerous. If there are two of them, one in awhile they'll change places.

In the dressing rooms, they're nice enough, even the bigger stars. They always have an entourage, or at least one person (usually I guess it's a younger sibling) to do their hair and help them with their shoes. They borrow makeup sometimes, liberally splash white powder on their faces (like everyone else, including the MCs), and sit quietly with their smartphone/tablet until it's time to sing.

So all of this was observed, and then the switch went, and I got curious. One of the singers performing last weekend was singing live, with a really great voice, and I went looking for songs on the internet. He's one of the bigger stars here, but I can only find three songs. And that's when I started asking questions. Who are these people, where do they come from, how do they get where they are and why don't most of them seem to know their songs, how do they make money, and really, what's going on here.

Turns out, most don't seem to know their own songs because they aren't their songs at all. There are a few large production companies/recording labels, and they write songs. Since there's a formula that works more or less, they follow the formula. Or, they'll translate a foreign song into Khmer. Then, they'll hire a voice to record the song, and release the album as a compilation. Then, they'll trot the singer off to perform on various television stations/events.

The singers themselves are paid for the recording and for the events. They are all of course screened for lookability. But they don't do anything themselves -- not the music, not the lyrics, and no dance. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but I haven't found them yet. Some bands -- like Dengue Fever and the Cambodian Space Project, which aren't really pop -- have recorded albums but the pop singers don't, or not that I know of.

In short, the pop singers are good-looking cardboard cutouts with a voice. It would be easy to point fingers at this and announce that Cambodians only know how to copy and therefore they wouldn't have any ideas should they have creative liberty over their music and careers, and probably just prefer to look pretty and get money.

Gee, that doesn't sound like anyone I might know of in America...

I'm getting off track. It would be easy to say that, but probably as wrong as announcing that all Americans eat hamburgers on a daily basis. From my experience here, and from the few conversations I've had so far, it's not necessarily a question of not wanting, but not knowing where to start. Not even knowing what tools you need to begin.

One of my friends has a band, and they write music. But where to record? How to record? She has no idea. The pop singer I thought was talented apparently used to be a construction worker. It probably never occured to him to sing, let alone make an album.

I have one Cambodian friend who is incredibly intelligent and an inquistive mind. She asks questions about everything, knows her own culture and it flaws, and has ideas about it. I was talking to her about this, which is when of course I thought, what you really need is an independent record label, with a studio and a crew of musicians. Then you need to find a singer who's willing and interested in taking a risk, get a songwriter on board and lock everyone up for several months and create a kick-ass, unique, original album, and then get it on the market in any way possible.

If the album is good, the independent ARTIST industry will explode. I capitalized artist because that's what's needed. Not singers, artists. I asked my friend about a million times, and each time she said yes -- that singer is out there. Probably more than one. Much like my students at CLA who had no idea where to begin in making a dance, but with a few tools in their back pocket, created some of the most innovative and interesting dance I've ever seen, there's a singer out there who wants to take control of their career, who doesn't just want to sing the songs they're given.

I think I have enough to do, but I want to find someone to make this happen. It's not just the traditional arts scene that needs to be nurtured and given artistic liberty, but also the modern and pop scene.

And I'd like to meet that singer who wants it enough to make it happen. Sure, some do just want to look pretty and get paid (hey, I wouldn't mind that either!!!). But I'd be happy to take the bet that many want more, but couldn't even imagine where to start, and so follow the system.

Any takers???

NOTE: I want to add something here -- I want to make it clear that I don't believe the singer in question also needs to be a songwriter. I'm just envisioning a place where they just start, however small or big, to take ownership of their music and their work as an artist.

2 comments:

  1. "Turns out, most don't seem to know their own songs because they aren't their songs at all." This is how pop music works everywhere in the world, pretty much. Britney Spears was never a song writer. "Thriller" is a song by Michael Jackson, right? Uh, no. It was composed by Rod Temperton (lyrics and music) and produced by Quincy Jones. Same same, not different. So even Michael Jackson isn't the Michael Jackson you believe him to be when it comes down to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Michael Jackson did not write his own songs, that's true. But he was involved in their making - I've done enough research on that to be confident saying so. Even if it was just an idea, or a thought, he was involved and he knew the music inside out, whether or not he wrote it (Check out his micro-managing of the music in the film This Is It!). Right now, a scenario in which the Cambodian star knew the music well enough to comment on the musician's playing of it would be unheard of.

      Of course, there are pop stars all over the world that are just pretty voices, but that's all there is, as far as I can tell, in Cambodia so far. That's why I think there needs to be that one that is just involved, in whatever way, big or small, in their own music. Just to start the process of ownership.

      Delete